Sunday, April 23, 2006

MIL Nightmares and Sod


I never would have guessed how crazy my MIL could make me in just two days and two nights. It was bad and needless to say I will be saying no from now on when she wants to visit for more than an hour or two. I can't believe how much she can disrespect me in my own home in front of my own husband who then procedes to either laugh or ignore her attitude. Curt and I had a long talk about it and I do understand that with our strenuous work resodding he was a bit out of it and thus was not really able to "stick up for me" like I believed he should, but still..... It has become clear to me that this will become a big item of contention between us if we don't deal with it. I have tried and tried but I think she is a toxic person and I truly believe that the only way for me to retain a sane marriage is for me to avoid her at all costs. This is not going to be easy since she lives so close (and might be moving closer) and she is constantly calling, emailing, begging to visit.

After this week's visit I am taking a no-more-Mrs.-nice-gal approach and just saying no more often. She can visit with Curtis a resonable amount of time but that's it. I guess I'm back to screening my calls again too. I can't tell you (or anyone for that matter) how upsetting this is to me. I really don't want this and I know it puts both Curt and I in a hard place, but I have tried and tried and bent over backwards to let this woman into our lives and all I get is criticism, complaints, attitude and disrespect. According to her I must not do anything right and my self-esteem cannot handle weekly assaults from her.

I'm sorry to dump this negativity here but it does help just to share my feelings. I'm praying that we will be able to find a balance that I can enjoy and she can deal with. On the bright side, she leaves for a 3 week vacation this Friday.

Sooooooo, we are both so sore and tired from resodding, but it is worth it. The backyard looks great and we got some rain yesterday too! We are going to take such good care of that lawn after all the manual labor we put in. I will never do that again because it seriously was the hardest work I've ever done. I've also convinced Curt that we should get rid of the big shed and get a tiny one for just the lawn equiptment and then we can put this portable pool I got in that spot. A friend I met online who owns a pool company sent me this portable pool for free because she only had four left and they were no longer going to sell them. I figure we can have it all done by next summer and maybe I'll be big and preggo and able to float in my own pool during the hot months of 2007. Plus I think Curtis will really like it too. It looks like it will be easy enough to care for on the instructions on the package and I'm hoping the pump doesn't up our power bill too much since it's such a small pool (12' diameter).

Here's a look at my little guy trying to help my big guy resod.

T

No comments: