Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cold Weather

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I really dislike cold weather. This is one of the major reasons why I really love living in Florida. Most of the time it is either hot or warm down here, but unfortunately we have had a bit of a cold spell lately.

Now, I grew up in the north in New Jersey, so I do know real cold, unlike most Florida natives who think it's time to break out the hats and scarfs when it goes below 70 F. The truth is, just because you know cold and have spent the first 16 years of your life in it doesn't mean you have to like it. I just plain old hate being cold. Anything below 50 F makes me miserable.

I learned a little trick for how to deal with things that I just really dislike and it is to change the focus with a list. Over the past few weeks I found myself focusing on all the reasons I hate cold weather. I'd be mumbling in the morning, "I hate getting out of bed when it's cold." or the afternoon "I hate getting in the car when it's cold." or the evening "I hate getting out of the hot shower when it's cold." Overall my attitude was pretty negative and really effecting everything around me. So I decided to try my little trick of making a list of the things I do like about cold weather and focusing on these things instead.

I'm not going to say it was easy. It took me a few days to compile this small list and honestly I still find myself grumbling to myself about being cold now and again, but it's a start, and the truth is, just a little effort in changing my attitude really did go a long way. Now whenever I find myself feeling pissy about the cold weather, I just pull out my list and try to focus on the things that I do like about the cold weather. The fact that this weather is so fleeting for us here in the Subtropics makes this list even more important, since the few things on it will be gone before we know it.

So here it is...my list, with as many photos as I could get. Please feel free to share your favorite things about the cold weather and maybe you will even help add to my list and maybe even cheer me and my cold toes up a little.

1. Hot tea (although I do drink hot tea even when it's hot out, I guess it's more enjoyable in the cold.)

2.Curt's work is always less busy during the cold months, which leaves him more time to spend with me and the boys.

3. Homemade soup is yummy when it's in the 30's but not so much in the 90's.

4. Baking in my old oven warms up the whole house which is much more desirable in this weather than when it's in the 90's.

5. Making hats and scarfs for friends and neighbors.









6. My Christmas cactus is in bloom.



7. Picking fresh oranges from the tree in my yard and juicing them for their tasty juice.




8. Drinking hot cocoa with my boys.







9. Homemade lavender infused heat pads.


3 comments:

Heat said...

Snuggling in flannel sheets under a heavy blanket!!!

Sitting by a fire, whether in a fire place, a fire pit, or a camp site.

No bugs!

(I do have to admit, though, that I am definitely in a light sweater or a jacket when it's 70 unless I'm in direct sunlight for more than 20 minutes, and if it's totally dark, a heavier sweater or a light sweater AND a jacket are in order...)

Anonymous said...

It also gives you a reason to cuddle closest with those you love!

Karen L. said...

Just off the top of my head, certain foods seem to be my favorite things about cold weather such as soup, stews, chili, real mac and cheese, bread pudding about hour after removing from the oven, cocoa, popcorn with a rental movie, smores. Then there are the non-food things such as sweaters, beautiful scarves, sledding, skating, log fires, reading. But the big thing for me would be the change ... as in the change of seasons. Just when I am tired of one season, the next one starts peeking out. Hmmm, hard to believe that you are my child, huh? Guess you take after the women from your father's side of the family.