Friday, September 19, 2008

Mowing

So I've been mowing the lawn some lately. I find it strangely satisfying. I think there is a sense of accomplishment in this that I don't get on a day to day basis. It seems like most of what I do all day gets undone very quickly. Like when I vacuum usually a pet or child makes a mess in 20 minutes or so and it gets frustrating. Also I do dishes after lunch only to have more dirtied up and waiting a few hours later after dinner. Laundry is a similar story.

So it all started a while back when Curt wanted to watch some big soccer thing on TV but it was Sunday evening and the lawn really needed to be mowed. I told him I'd try it if he'd turn the mower on for me and it went OK. I did it again a few times when there was a Buccs game on or some other thing and I'm really liking it. It's very zen like to cut across strip after strip in the long St. Augustine grass. I sometimes wear our MP3 player and rock out to good music but honestly I prefer not too. I think the loudness of the mower enhances the inward turning of my mind as I mow. It's therapeutic and then when I'm done I look back to see an actual measurable achievement. No one can make the grass grow back in faster than mother nature intends.

There is also something to be said for the endorphins that get set off due to the physicality of the activity. I'm not going to say there is a 'mower's high' but I think it might be something like that. I love to work out and walking in all sweaty and wore out after mowing away the grass makes me feel pretty good.

We'll see how long this lasts. We're getting into the good part of the year where you don't have to mow every week here in FL and things are starting to cool down a little (for Florida weather I mean), so who knows what'll happen once the heat comes back next year.

T

1 comment:

Terri said...

Tara, I came over to get a glimpse of your cute short hair and found this post. I love mowing the lawn too! For all the reasons you said. lol!