Friday, March 06, 2009

Pizza Night

Recently we have found out that Clark is allergic to dairy. It's been a journey to get to this discovery and it has been confirmed by both the doctor and by us. He was dairy free for 2 weeks and gained more weight than he had in months and then the first time I gave him some dairy he woke up the next morning in hives. So now that we know this, added to the fact that I don't really eat much meat and Curt and Curtis have some really restricted lists of veggies they will eat, well, as you can imagine making dinner gets tricky.

I figured this new dairy free thing would do away with our family pizza night. For a while I made a pizza for us then I just started buying one at Costco since it's so darned cheap. Well, I got to thinking about it and decided to try individual pizzas. It worked out pretty well actually.

As you can see Curtis really enjoyed getting to 'decorate' his own pizza crust.





Here is what they looked like before going in the oven. You can probably tell whose is whose.



And here they are all done. Looks pretty good huh? I put spinach and chopped garlic on mine and Curt and Curtis went for straight up pepperoni. I made a small cheese-free pizza for Clark with just light sauce and spinach.



I'm pretty happy with this new family pizza night and I'm hoping I'm able to come up with more fun and creative ways to make good dinners that satisfy each of our restrictions, be they medical, ethical, or just silly.

4 comments:

Heat said...

Good for you for finding a great, creative solution!

Karen L. said...

You have a tough road ahead with all the non-conforming eaters in the family. However, it does look like you are working through some of this ... at least on pizza night anyway! Good for you! Guess we will have to have pizza every night when you visit, or not!!!

Anonymous said...

What did you make the crusts out of? I need to find a dairy-free version for Annika. :)
~~Terri

Taradactyl in a Modern World said...

Hey Terrie, I have a recipe I use in my bread maker on the dough cycle. Email me if you want a copy of it.